Theatre followers, seize your diaries as a result of the BBC have immediately introduced that BBC Radio 2 and BBC One can be broadcasting a particular present later this month to have fun musical theatre whereas venues throughout the nation are unable to open.
Musicals: The Best Present can be direct from the West Finish, the US and past and can function various your favorite UK and worldwide stars in a celebration of the nation’s favorite songs and performers from the world of musical theatre. And the perfect bit? It doesn’t cease there! Radio 2 Celebrates Musicals is a three-day occasion that includes the music of stage and display for individuals to get pleasure from from the consolation of their very own houses. The particular programme consists of songs from musical theatre and movie throughout an entire day to additional programming on BBC 4 and BBC iPlayer.
Hosted on radio and tv by multi-award successful performer Sheridan Smith, Musicals: The Best Present places the songs, the reveals, and the celebs, again on stage on the world well-known London Palladium. It is going to be broadcast from 7pm – 9pm on Sunday 31 January on BBC Radio 2 and BBC Sounds, and as a 75-minute present in February on BBC One and BBC iPlayer. It is going to be accessible on BBC iPlayer for a yr after broadcast.
The TV present additionally needs you, the general public, to be a part of the motion too by making a video of themselves performing Any Dream Will Do from Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice’s Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat! By importing footage through the web site you’ll have the prospect to be a part of this very particular second on BBC One. Full particulars and phrases and circumstances are at bbc.co.uk/musicals
From Friday 29 January to Sunday 31 January, for Radio 2 Celebrates Musicals the station has lined up an unbelievable array of music, programmes and documentaries. On Friday between 5am to 7pm on Radio 2, every tune broadcast can be one of many best ever songs from musical theatre and movie, plus a nationwide sing-a-long second will happen in Zoe Ball’s Breakfast Present. There can be musical stars as visitor presenters for Sounds Of The 60s, 70s, 80 and 90s, and on the Sunday multi-award successful star of musical theatre Elaine Paige (pictured centre) reveals the outcomes of the listener vote to find their favorite tune from a musical, plus a lot extra throughout the three days.
Elaine Paige, Radio 2 presenter, says: “Musicals are such an enormous a part of my life, as they’re for thus lots of my mates and colleagues, so to be unable to carry out or go to the theatre for many of final yr was devastating for us all. Radio 2 Celebrates Musicals is a manner for us all to return collectively, to be uplifted and sing out loud to the world’s finest present tunes.”
Sheridan Smith says: “I’m thrilled to be internet hosting this excellent present from The London Palladium for Radio 2 and BBC One. With so many superb performers we’re going to hopefully convey some pleasure to all these at dwelling, with the perfect songs to assist elevate the spirits in these very troublesome instances.”
Helen Thomas, Head of Radio 2, says: “2020 left a gaping gap within the lives of musical theatre lovers with the reveals being closed because of the pandemic. So as an alternative, we’ll convey the musicals to listeners and viewers on Radio 2 and throughout BBC One, BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds. I really hope our programming will assist to elevate the spirits and seize the enjoyment and elation that solely these fantastic songs and performers can convey.”
Kate Phillips, Channel Controller, BBC One, says: “We’re delighted to be collaborating with Radio 2 to convey a unbelievable array of proficient artists to BBC One. Viewers will get the prospect to see and listen to many iconic songs from a few of the better of musicals at a time when visiting theatres simply isn’t doable.”
In Musicals: The Best Present, Sheridan will introduce some spectacular performances from West Finish and Broadway favourites. Try a few of the highlights under – some solely for the Radio 2 broadcast – embrace (and please observe, plans are topic to vary at quick discover):
- Amanda Holden and Sheridan Smith carry out I Know Him So Effectively, from Chess. The tune, initially carried out by Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson, reached #1 within the UK Pop Charts in 1985 stays the best-selling tune by a feminine duo
- Nicole Scherzinger with By no means Sufficient from The Best Showman – together with her efficiency recorded in Los Angeles
- Solely for Radio 2, Josh Groban sings The Unattainable Dream from Man Of La Mancha – together with his vocal efficiency recorded in Los Angeles
- Solely for Radio 2, Elaine Paige with Sundown Boulevard’s As If We By no means Mentioned Goodbye. Elaine made her Broadway debut in Sundown Boulevard in 1996
- Gavin Spokes, from the West Finish manufacturing of Hamilton, performs You’ll Be Again
- Michael Ball performs You Can’t Cease The Beat from Hairspray
- Sheridan Smith performs Don’t Rain On My Parade from Humorous Lady
- An unique first efficiency by Ivano Turco of Solely You, Lonely You from Cinderella (which is because of open in London in 2021).
- The solid of SIX The Musical performing SIX
- Ramin Karimloo sings The Music Of The Evening from The Phantom Of The Opera
- The three West Finish lead actors of MAMMA MIA! carry out Dancing Queen
- Aisha Jawando of the West Finish manufacturing of TINA, The Tina Turner Musical performs The Greatest
- Lea Salonga performs I Dreamed A Dream from Les Misérables – together with her efficiency recorded in Manila
- Layton Williams of Everybody’s Talking About Jamie performs The Wall In My Head
- Sam Tutty sings You Will Be Discovered from Expensive Evan Hansen, alongside members of the West Finish solid
- Nicole Raquel Dennis of Dreamgirls with And I Am Telling You
- Kerry Ellis sings Defying Gravity from Wicked
- Solely for Radio 2, Christine Allado and Alexia Khadime carry out the Oscar-winning tune When You Consider from The Prince Of Egypt
- Jac Yarrow, with the general public, performing Any Dream Will Do from Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat
In case you’d like to take a look at extra theatre reveals to get pleasure from on-line, try our on-line calendar here. From reside streams and on-line premieres to podcasts and quizzes, there’s loads to maintain you entertained.